Ashtree Farm Mill
Located on the River Bure north of Great Yarmouth, Ashtree Farm Mill was the last mill to work under wind. Ashtree Farm was built in 1912 by Smithdales, the millwrights of Acle, showing wind-powered drainage mills were still a viable proposition. As the latest part of its restoration to working order, the drainage mill at Ashtree Farm had a new cap and sails lifted into place on 8th Sept 2006. Restoration was finally completed in April 2008.
Berney Arms High Mill
Located alongside the River Yare at the south-westerly end of Breydon Water. The windmill is in an isolated spot. The best approach for the visitor is by river or via the nearby railway station at Berney Arms. The windmill is a long and difficult walk from Reedham, which is about four miles south-west of the windmill. The windmill is 71 feet (21.5 metres) tall and is the tallest drainage windmill in the county of Norfolk. It is constructed from red brickwork with the outside sloping walls coated with tar. The mill tower stands seven storeys high. The cap resembles an upturned clinker boat hull and is a traditional style for Norfolk. The windmill has four sails and a fantail. The mill's scoop wheel stands some way from the mill, which is unusual. The scoop wheel is linked to the mill by a horizontal shaft and has a diameter of 24 feet (7.3 metres), with long wooden paddles. The paddles scooped water into a narrow brick-built culvert and released it to the higher level of the River Yare. The windmill was built in 1865 for the Reedham Cement Company by the millwright firm of Stolworthy. At first, it was used to grind cement clinker, using clay dredged from Oulton Broad and brought to the mill by wherry. The wherries brought mud and lime to be fired at nearby kilns. The kilns produced a clinker which was ground to a powder in the windmill. Cement production closed down in 1880 and in 1883 the windmill was converted to work the drainage scoop to drain the surrounding marshland. The long period of restoration began in 1951. Berney Arms Windmill is now operated as a tourist attraction and is managed by English Heritage. English Heritage removed all four sails and these were finally replaced on 25 May 2007. The cap was replaced in 2003 and the fantail on 22 April 2006.
Regretably the mill is now open only to pre booked parties. On north bank of River Yare; only accessible by boat, train or by footpath - English Heritage (01493-700605)
Boardman's Drainage Windmill is located at How Hill in the English county of Norfolk. It is on the east bank of the River Ant close to Norfolk Broads Study Centre. Boardman's Drainage Windmill is of an interesting design being constructed from an open framed timber trestle method. The mill has a miniature cap, sails and fantail similar to the traditional tower drainage mills which can be seen on other parts of the Norfolk Broads. The windmill was restored by the Norfolk Windmills Trust in partnership with the Broads Authority.
Boardman's drainage windmill was built in 1897 by a local millwright Daniel England of Ludham. Trestle mills or Skeleton mills as they are sometimes described, were a later and less expensive alternative to a brick built windmill. As a result of their mainly timber construction very few have survived the ravages of the weather and of time. Boardman's mill is one of only three Trestle mills left on the Broads. The mill was originally fitted with a scoopwheel but this was later replaced with a turbine pump. Boardman's mill stopped pumping in 1938 when it was blown over in a gale.
Brograve Mill is a windpump located on Waxham New Cut, 1 mile north of Horsey Mere. The mill is of red brick construction and today lies in an extremely derelict and unsafe state. It is thought to have last worked around 1930. and had an 8 bladed fantail with a boat shaped cap carrying two pairs of patent shuttered sails powering an internal turbine pump. Its purpose was to drain the Brograve levels into the man made Waxham New Cut.
The mill cannot be directly reached on foot. However, it can be seen very closely by following the path next to the Waxham New Cut from Horsey Mere, and there is also a farm track, which is private property. Only two stocks and two stubs of the original sails remain and the mill has a very westward lean to it. The only way to access the mill is via boat along the Waxham New Cut, but entering the structure is strongly discouraged as it is in a very unsafe state.
Buckenham Ferry Mill
Buckenham Ferry drainage mill standing next to the River Yare, was built as a 4 storey red brick tower and had windows on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. By 1989 the mill was roofless and had a definite lean. A brick shed had been built against the mill and a modern pump stood alongside it. A temporary roof was put on the mill in1993 to keep pigeons out as the mill tower was full of droppings. This temporary cover of corrugated iron sheet was destroyed by gales in early 2007 and the RSPB which stood to the right of the mill has now been dismantled.
Cadge's Mill (Also known as Batchie's Mill / Stimpson's Mill)
This mill, one of a cluster of three situated close to Seven Mile House, is today minus sails. It was built around 1880 and last worked in 1941. Cadge's Mill has received a new cap. Internally, the scoopwheel has been removed and electrical gear installed. There is no public access.
Caldecott Mill (Also known as Bell Hill Mill)
Caldecott Mill Drainage windpump was a three storey tapering tarred brick tower with iron bands at each floor level. The mill now stands in a state of ruin.
Clayrack Drainage Mill
Clayrack is a very special drainage mill because it is one of only two 'Hollow Post' drainage mills left in the Broads and the only one fitted with a scoop wheel. Most remaining drainage mills have a brick tower. In 1981 Clayrack Mill stood 4km away from its current position on Ranworth Marshes. It was badly in need of restoration but Ranworth hosts many nesting birds vulnerable to disturbance so it had to be removed. Happily it was reconstructed in its current How Hill location and can occasionally be seen working to drain the marshes.
Ashby Clippesby mill on the River Bure close to Upton Dyke was originally built with older type narrow bricks before being heightened using a more modern style of wider brick in the early 19th century. The mill had a Norfolk boat shaped cap with a petticoat and gallery. The mill has four storeys and is 41 feet high to the top of the cap. The mill was converted to a holiday home in 1958 but now stands derelict.
Commission Mill at Stokesby was built in the early 19th century by William Rust at Stokesby. The tapering circular 4 storey brick tower had a round-headed timber door to the south under an arched timber lintel, one ground floor window to the east and a first floor window to the north. The mill stands in a private garden and has now been converted into residential accommodation.
Hardley drainage mill was built in 1874 for Sir Thomas Proctor Beauchamp of Langley Hall. The 4 storey red brick tower standing next to the River Yare operated until around 1950 when it was badly damaged. Architect and mill enthusiast Peter Grix aided by volunteers began restoration work and by 2005 structural work on the tower was completed. Floating pontoon moorings with charging points for electric boats have been installed on the river frontage enabling river users to visit the mill and make use of the facilities at the visitor centre. The visitor centre will provide a space for various exhibitions relating to the mill, the river and local communities plus information on the wildlife which now thrives on the marshes. It will also act as a drop in centre for walkers on the Wherryman's Way footpath with light refreshments available. It is hoped that the mill and visitor centre will open to the public in 2009.
High's Mill (Also known as Gilbert's Mill / Lubbock's Mill)
This 2 storey tower with only one window on the upper floor stood by itself on a cut from mill Fleet Dykein the Halvergate marshes. The mill is now owned by Norfolk Windmills Trust and has already been stabilised and protected for future restoration. This mill should be restored as the only surviving manually-winded, common sailed example in the Broads area.
The magnificent Horsey Windpump standing on Horsey staithe is a fully restored historic drainage windpump offering striking views across the Norfolk Broads and to the coast. The five storey mill was built in 1912 by Dan England and pumped out water from surrounding land so that it could be used for agriculture. The mill was operational until 1943 when it was struck by lightning when story tells of how the operator found himself entangled in the pump's machinery as he tried to secure the building against the storm. The poor souls cries are still said to be heard on windy nights as he continues to be dragged around by the huge wooden sails. The National Trust took ownership of Horsey Windpump and restored it to its former glory, attracting visitors from far afield. The mill is open to visitors from March to October (10am - 4.30pm) and a small tearoom is just a few yards away.
£2.25, child £1. Mooring fees payable by all boat users
Built in 1860 and situated on the River Ant, Hunsett Drainage Mill was always the idyllic chocolate box picture setting. In 2008 renovations and a large extention was added to the adjacent mill house causing outrage among some who felt that this once charming view has now been lost forever. The property is now being advertised as holiday lets.
Lockgate Mill (Also known as Banham's Black Mill?, 'Freethorpe Mill', and 'Duffel's Mill')
The current mill at this location was built somewhere between 1800 and 1825 under the name 'Freethorpe Mill', it is four stories high and built of red brick tarred black. The structure stands at 35 feet to the curb and the diameter of the base is 24 feet, housing two doors and 4 windows. A farm once stood next to the mill, it was known as Lockgate Farm and was demolished in 1981 after many years of being derelict. When operational, the mill was driven by four patent sails that turned in a clockwise direction, these drove a 19 ft diameter external scoopwheel with 7 inch paddles. Unusually for a mill on the halvergate marshes it didn't drain into the Halvergate Fleet even though it is only 800 yards from the connection of the fleet with Breydon water. Instead it drained Acle marshes that lie to the north of the mill. The earliest recorded marshman of the mill was a Mr Dan Banham, followed subsequently by Mr Bob Banham. The Banham family ceased working the mill in the early 1920s and was taken over for a short period by Mr Gordon Addison, who lived in the nearby Lockgate Farm. The final marshman that worked the mill was Mr Leonard Carter, who left the mill in the mid-1940s. After Leonard Carter left the mill, it began to fall into disrepair. In 1953 the sails were blown off the mill in a gale and was left to deteriorate until a temporary aluminium cap was fitted in 1988 to protect the remains. Today the mill still stands, and the aluminium cap is still in situ, However in 2001 a fire broke out inside due to vandals, this destroyed much of the remaining equipment on the inside and has blackened some of the external and internal brickwork. The scoopwheel is no longer in place, and remains of it can be seen beside the outside of the structure. The mill can be directly reached on the Yarmouth-Berney Arms path, however access is prohibited and a fence blocks access due to the unsafe state the structure is in.
Polkey's Mill (Also Known as South Mill)
Originally Polkey's Mill was one of an open group of three mills along with the North Mill and Cadge's Mill. Polkey's Mill was built in the 1860s and could pump 40 tons of water a minute in a good wind. The mill has recently been restored to full working order and it will be possible, wind permitting, to demonstrate the mill to the public during publicised open days.
St. Olaves Mill aka Priory Mill
Built on the site of St. Olaves Priory this tiny, timber boarded trestle drainage mill with a scoopwheel is visible from road and river and can be approached by footpath from the bridge. It is situated on the east bank of the River Waveney, just below St Olaves' bridge on the A143. Major works were carried out to repair storm damage and the mill was opened to the public in 2008.